Australian Embassy
Finland and Latvia
Australian Ambassador H.E. Ms Frances Sagala 

FAQs: Passports

Frequently Asked Questions: Passports


How do I lodge my passport application?

You will need to book an appointment at the Australian Embassy in Stockholm OR with one of our Honorary Consuls in Helsinki, Riga or Tallinn.


How long does it take to get a new passport?

Passport processing times (after your appointment and the application has been finalised) are currently take a minimu of 4-6 weeks (not including transit or postage times) . You should factor this into your travel plans. To minimise processing time, make sure your application includes everything we need.


I have just done my passport application online. Did you receive it?

All passport applications must be printed and lodged in person or sent by mail. There is no way to lodge an Australian passport application electronically. 


Does the child have to attend the interview?

If lodging an application in person, children aged 16 and 17 years old must attend the interview with one parent.  Children aged 15 years and younger are not required to attend.


What are the photo requirements?

You need to bring two identical photographs, complying by following requirements: good quality colour prints on a glossy, heavy-weight paper, less than 6 months old and produced using dye sublimation, not from an inkjet printer. Photos must be 35mm to 40mm wide and 45mm to 50mm high. The size of the face from chin to crown can be up to a maximum of 36mm, with a minimum of 32mm. See more information here.


Can you recommend any places that do Australian-style photos?

We are unable to endorse individual businesses, however we do recommend that you find a local photographer and provide them with the Australian passport photo specifications. Each store is different so you will need to talk to your photographer to make sure he/she can take the type of photo you need. Do not use the photo booths as they are not set to Australian Standards.


Can I get an emergency passport?

Yes. If you have an urgent travel planned, you can apply for an emergency passport which can be issued in few days. The emergency passport does not have an electronic chip and it’s only valid for 7 months, as a standard, and up to 12 months in demostrated circumstances. To book an appointment for emergency passport please email [email protected] or call us on +46 8 613 2900. You can apply for a full validity passport at the same time as you apply for an emergency passport.


How do I renew my passport if I changed my name?

You will need to apply for a new passport by completing the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (please note that you do not qualify for a renewal form in these circumstances). You will need to present extra documents about your name change.  More information here.


Can I renew my passport before it expires?

Yes, you can renew your passport at any time.


Can I renew my passport if it expired less than 3 years ago?

Yes. If your passport has not been expired for more than 3 years you can still use the Application for an Australian Passport Renewal (PC7).


Can I renew my passport if it expired more than 3 years ago?

Yes, but you are not eligible to use the Application for an Australian Passport Renewal (PC7). You will need to lodge your application using the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8).


Will my new passport have the same number as my old passport?

No, your new passport will be a new booklet and will have a new number.


Can someone at the Passport Office be my guarantor?



What if I cannot find an Australian citizen to be my guarantor?

You do NOT need an Australian citizen as a guarantor. You have two options:

  • a non-Australian who is currently employed in one of the occupation groups (link above);
  • OR a current Australian passport holder.


Does my guarantor need to be the same person that witnesses the parent’s signatures in Section 15 for child applications?

No, you can use a different person.


Can the Passport Office witness the parents' consent in Section 15?

No.  Please make sure your form is fully completed and witnessed before coming to the Passport Office for your interview.  We cannot witness your signature.


Do I need a guarantor if I am just renewing?

If you are using the one-page renewal form, called the Australian Passport Renewal Application (PC7), you do not need a guarantor.  If you are using the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas (PC8) form, then you must provide a guarantor.


Can I get my children added to my Australian passport?

A child who is an Australian citizen must have their own Australian passport as it is not possible to include a child on a parent's passport.


What if all my original documents are in Australia or another country?

You have two options.  You can either have them sent to you so that you present them at your interview, or you can have a friend/relative present the original documents on your behalf at another Australian Passport office.


Should I sign my form in front of a Passport Officer?

No.  Please make sure all sections of the form are signed before you attend your interview or mail in your application.  We cannot witness your consent or act as your guarantor.


What happens to my old passport?

If you attend an interview, your old passport will be physically cancelled and returned to you at the interview. This is the case even if the passport is still valid at the time of your interview.  No visa pages will be damaged in this process. If you have travel scheduled within the next few weeks, please alert your interviewing officer so that your options can be discussed.


What if I may have lost my Australian citizenship?

All citizenship enquiries should be directed to the Department of Home Affairs in Australia on 0061 2 6196 0196. You may be eligible to become an Australian citizen again if you lost your citizenship because of acquiring the citizenship of another country or renounced or gave up your Australian citizenship.


Do I have to enter Australia on an Australian passport?

Yes. You are not entitled to a visa, even if you are also a citizen of another country. There is more information about this on the Department of Home Affairs’ website or you can call the Department of Home Affairs in Australia on 0061 2 6196 0196.


Can I travel on a passport in which the name is different from my ticket?

Generally, passengers travelling to/from Sweden, Finland or Latvia must have a passport that exactly matches the name on their airline ticket.  If you are concerned, you should contact your airline to see if they will carry you and the immigration department of all countries to which you are travelling to ensure you will be able to fulfil their immigration/customs requirements.


 Who can translate my documents to English?

All documents that are not in English must be accompanied with an English translation document. You must also provide the original foreign language document and an authorised translation from an Authorised Translator.


Swedish extract of population

Skatteverket's extract of population (personbevis) may be used to provide proof of residence, particularly for child applications to provide evidence of the mother and father's addresses. To order this, you must call Skatteverket at 077-156 75 67. Please make sure to get the long version in English.