Australian Embassy
Finland, Latvia and Estonia

Services to Australians

Services for Australians Overseas

Passport services

Applying for an Australian passport

Information on how to apply for an Australian passport is available on our "Passport Services" page. The page contains up to date information on the passport process, including on-line passport application forms, list of supporting documents required, current fees and payment details.

Lost or stolen passport

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you are required by law to report the loss or theft. This should be done as soon as practicable to your nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate or via our on-line service. To report your passport lost or stolen on-line, please click here. Please note that passports reported as lost or stolen will be immediately and permanently cancelled. A cancelled passport must not be used for travel.

Passport Information

Personal lodgement of passport applications mandatory from 1 July 2015. All Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person as of 1 July 2015. It will no longer be possible to submit an application in the mail.

Please note that child applications should be lodged in person by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child. The parent or person lodging the application is not required to be an Australian citizen, but will need to bring photographic proof of their own identity to the appointment. The child does not need to be present. This will help us to protect you, by protecting the security and integrity of your Australian passport. Please contact us on +46 (0)8 613 2971 for further advice.

In accordance with the Australian Passport (Application Fees) Determination 2015, Australian travel document fees increased on 1 January 2017.

The application fee for a ten-year passport for adults is A$380, and for child applicants aged 16 or 17 is A$329.

The application fee for minors (those aged under 16) who opt for a five-year passport is A$191, and for seniors (those aged 75 and older) is A$241.

Consular Services

The Australian Embassy provides consular assistance for Australians in Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Estonia.

There are legal limits on to what the Australian Embassy can do to assist Australians overseas. Please see "What we can and cannot do" for further advice.

If you require consular services, please contact the Embassy on +46 8 613 2900 during business hours. 24-hour emergency assitance for Australian citizens is available from the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305.

Department's Privacy Policy

The Department's Privacy Policy is available at

Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. Copies of the Statement are available at or by requesting a copy from the Department.

Notarial and Legal Services

Comprehensive information about the different notarial and legal services provided by Australian Embassies overseas is available at the smartraveller website.

Honorary Consuls in Helsinki, Riga and Tallinn are not able to provide any notarial or legal services, nor provide advice on these matters. Notarial services are performed only by the Australian Embassy in Stockholm.

Notarial Appointments

Appointments are required for notarial services.  The Australian Embassy in Stockholm performs notarial services between 15.00-16.00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.  To make an appointment, please contact the Embassy on +46 8 613 2900.  Please bring with you the relevant form(s).  You should verify your identity by presenting a valid photo ID (passport, driver’s licence or photo ID-card).  Fees may only be paid via Eftpos (debit card or credit card).  The Embassy does not accept cash. Please see “Consular Fees” (below) for current fees and payment details.

Notarial Fees

Notarial fees apply for all notarial and legal services. Fees for notarial and legal services are set under Australian legislation. The consular fees (in Swedish Kronor) are reviewed monthly and may be adjusted due to variations in exchange rate to the Australian dollar. Please see consular fees (below) for our current fees and payment information.


The following disclamer relates to all notarial services performed by the Australian Embassy in Sweden:

"Please ensure that the documents relating to notarial services you require from the Australian Embassy are presented in the correct form, and that you provide the correct instructions to our staff (for example, on how your signature must be witnessed on the documents).If you are unsure of the legal requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice.

By providing a notarial service such as authenticating a document, providing a certified copy of a document or witnessing a signature on a document, neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy in Sweden endorse, verify or make any statement as to the accuracy, truth, legality or otherwise of the contents of the document or the purposes for which the document may be used.

Neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy accept liability for any loss damage or injury arising out of the use of, or reliance on, the document or its contents."

The following are some of the common notarial services that are provided by the Australian Embassy in Stockholm. Please note that fees apply for all notarial and legal services.

1. Witnessing signatures

Including State and Commonwealth Statutory Declaration, drivers licence renewal and Notice of Intended Marriage (for marriage in Australia)

The law often requires that a signature on a document be witnessed or authenticated before a document can be relied on legally. Solicitors, Justices of the Peace and Notary Publics normally perform such functions, but Consular Officers overseas may also be empowered to witness signatures.

Common documents that required your signature to be witnessed are:

  • A drivers licence renewal application
  • State and Commonwealth Statutory Declarations
  • A Notice of Indended Marriage form
  • Applications for Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

Online forms

2. Making and certifying copies of documents

When Consular Officers are asked to certify a document, they are certifying that the copy is a "true copy" of the document presented to them. The documents presented must be originals. The Consular Officer will use the following text: "This is a true copy of the document presented to me". If you require a different form of words, please consult a Notary Public or the authority from which the document originated.

By mail

If you are unable to attend the Embassy in person, you can mail the documents for which you wish to obtain certified copies.  Please send your original documents to the following address:

Notarials Section
Australian Embassy
Box 824
SE-101 36 Stockholm

Please specify what documents you want to have certified and if you require multiple copies. Make sure to write down the return address. Your original documents and copies will be returned to you by mail. The Embassy strongly recommends you request the documents to be returned to you with registered mail (additional charges apply). Please pay the fee using Internet banking, bankgiro or a bank transfer. Please see “Consular Fees” (below) for current fees and payment details.

3. Issue of Apostilles

Consular officers may undertake legalisation of signatures and/or seals on Australian public documents (apostilles and authentications).

4. Issue of Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI for marriage overseas)

Consular Fees

The consular fees (in Swedish Kronor) are reviewed monthly and may be adjusted due to variations in exchange rate to the Australian dollar. Make sure to pay the current fee for the month you are submitting your documents (i.e. the month the Embassy receives your documents). Fees for consular services at the Australian Embassy in Stockholm may be paid via eftpos (debit card or credit card). 

Consular Fees (February 2017)

  • Witnessing signature – SEK 461 per signature
  • Making and certifying a copy of a document – SEK 461 per document
  • Issuing an Apostille - SEK 527
  • Issuing Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) – SEK 922

Fees for registered mail

If original documents have been provided to the Embassy, we strongly recommend you request to have the documents returned to you with registered mail. For registered mail, please add the following to amount to the consular fee:

  • Within Sweden – SEK 100
  • Outside Sweden – SEK 150

Bank charges

Please note that banks usually deduct a fee for transferring amounts. If you pay using Internet banking or a banks transfer, please add the additional amount listed below:

  • Internet banking – SEK 12
  • Bank transfer – SEK 30

How do I pay for my notarial service?

Fees for notarial services at the Australian Embassy in Stockholm may be paid via eftpos (debit card or credit card).
Applicants living in Sweden can pay using bankgiro, Internet banking or a direct bank deposit. Applicants not living in Sweden, can pay using Internet banking or a funds transfer.

Applicants living in Sweden

  • The bankgiro number for the Embassy is 188-3990.
  • The name of the bank is SEB.
  • Address of the bank is SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken) Sergels Torg 2, 106 40 STOCKHOLM.
  • Applicants can also make a direct bank deposit into the Embassy’s account number 5277-1000652.

Please fill in the full amount of all services you are paying for, including any additional charges for registered mail. Enter your family name and type of service in the “text box” and then arrange the deposit through any SEB branch. Please provide proof of payment with your application/documents. The notarial service will not be processed until the Embassy has received the correct payment.

Applicants not living in Sweden

If you do not live in Sweden, please pay using Internet banking or arrange a funds transfer, in Swedish Kronor, into the Embassy account no. 5277-1000652 (IBAN no. SE 2850000000052771000652). The name of the bank is SEB.
Address: SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken), Sergels Torg 2, 106 40 STOCKHOLM

We recommend you provide the following swift/BIC code; ESSESESS to the bank to speed up the payment process. Please provide a copy of the receipt with your application/documents as proof of payment.

Travelling or residing overseas? Register your contact details on-line

If you are an Australian citizen travelling or residing overseas, please register your  details at

External Links