Australian Embassy
Finland, Latvia and Estonia

Passport Services

Applying for a Australian Passport

The information on these pages is for Australians in Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Estonia only. Australians in other countries should contact their local Australian Embassy or Consulate for information relevant to their circumstances. 
Important: In accordance with the Australian Passports (Application Fees) Determination 2015, Australian travel document fees have increased as of 1 January 2017. Please note all fees must be paid in Swedish kronor (SEK). All current fees in SEK are listed in section "How much does the passport cost" further below.
The application fee for a ten-year passport for adults is A$380, and for child applicants aged 16 or 17 is A$329. 
The application fee for minors (those aged under 16) who opt for a five-year passport is A$191, and for seniors (those aged 75 and older) is A$241.

What form do I need to complete? 

Overseas applicants can apply for an Australian Passport using a simplified form Overseas Passport Renewal (PC7) if all of the following are correct:

  • Your most recently issued adult passport was issued after 1 July 2000;
  • Your most recently issued passport had more than two years' validity;
  • Your most recently issued passport has not expired for more than three years;
  • You have not changed your name, date of birth and sex;
  • Your passport has not been reported lost, stolen or damaged; and
  • You do not possess concurrent Australian passports.

Change to policy from 27 September 2012 - first time adult applicants:
First time adult applicants can lodge using a PC7 if:

  • You were issued a passport as a child after 1 July 2005;
  • You were 16 years of age or over at the time of issue;
  • Your passport was issued with at least two years validity; and
  • Your passport was issued in your current name, date of birth and sex.

If you do not qualify to use the PC7 form as a first time adult applicant, please use the PC8 "Overseas passport application form" below.

Overseas applicants can apply for a new Australian passport using a standard Overseas Passport Application (PC8) if:

  • You are applying for your first Australian passport; or
  • You are applying for your first passport as a child, or you are renewing a child's passport; or
  • You are applying for your first adult passport (over 18 years old), and do not qualify to use the PC7 application form;  or
  • You are replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport; or
  • You are applying to change your name or amend your personal details; or
  • You are applying for your first passport after resumption of citizenship; or
  • You are applying for a concurrent Australian passport.

How do I lodge my application? 

All applicants lodging with a PC7 or PC8 must attend an interview at the Embassy or with an Honorary Consul.  Lodgement by mail is not accepted.

Once your forms are completed, you will need to arrange an interview at the Embassy or with an Honorary Consul.  Interviews are strictly by appointment only and must therefore be arranged in advance. Please contact us to make your appointment:

  • Stockholm: + 46 (0)8 613 2971

Our interview times are between 09:00 - 12:00 from Monday-Friday.

Applicants unable to travel to Stockholm may find it easier to make an appointment with one of our Honorary Consuls in the following cities:

  • Helsinki: +358 10 420 4492
  • Riga: +371 67 320 509
  • Tallinn: +372 650 9308

Overseas Passport Application Form (PC8): What documents do I need to bring to an interview with my application? 

1. Complete the passport application using a black ballpoint pen

2. Provide proof of your Australian citizenship

  • Your original Australian birth certificate. Please note that we do not accept birth extracts, commemorative certificates, photo copies (including certified copies) or faxed copies. If you currently do not have your original Australian birth certificate, please contact the Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in your home state to apply for a new document. If you are born after 20 August 1986, and do not have an Australian passport issued after 1 January 2000, please provide proof of one parent's Australian citizenship or permanent residence status in Australia at the time of your birth; or
  • Your original Australian citizenship certificate. This includes Extracts from the Register of Australian Citizenship by Descent, issued to Australian citizens born overseas. If you currently do not have your original citizenship certificate, please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). 

3. Provide your original Australian passport

 The passport will be cancelled and returned to your with your new passport.

4. Provide original documents to prove your identity

  • Photo identification with signature (current driver’s licence, foreign passport, Australian or foreign residency ID card etc.);
  • Proof of current name (credit card, health card etc.); and
  • Proof of current address (bank statement, utility bill, Swedish or Finnish “personbevis” (Extract from the Population Register) etc.).

5. Provide two passport size photographs of yourself

One photograph should be endorsed and signed on the back by the person who completes the “Guarantor Declaration” at section 12 of the application form (PC8). “This is a true photo of (applicant’s full name)” must be written on the back of the photograph. Please use a black ballpoint pen, as this ensures that the application scans properly. The photographs must be less than 6 months old. Please see section "What are the photo requirements?" for more information about the passport photograph.

6. Provide original documents of any name changes

If you change your surname by marriage or revert to a previous surname because of divorce or death of a spouse, you may apply for gratis replacement of a passport that was current at the time of the event. The replacement passport will be issued in your new surname and will have the same expiry date as the current passport. To qualify for a gratis replacement, your current passport must have more than two year’s validity.

If you were born in Australia, or normally reside in Australia, please provide an original name change certificate, revised birth certificate or Australian marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in your home state to support your name change.

If you were born overseas and normally reside overseas, please provide an original name change certificate or revised birth certificate in English or accompanied by an official translation.

If you married overseas, please provide the original marriage certificate in English, or accompanied by an official translation. Marriage certificates issued by marriage celebrants or religious leaders are not acceptable to support a name change.

Non-Australian name change certificates and non-Australian marriage certificates must be:

  • Issued by the local equivalent of the Australian RBDM (e.g. Skatteverket in Sweden); and
  • Legalised by a notary public. To find a notary public in Sweden, please contact the Swedish Bar Association. To find a notary public in Finland, please contact The Finnish Bar Association. In Estonia, please contact the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the contact details of notaries. In Latvia, legalisations services, including apostilles, are available at the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riga.

Australian Passport Renewal Form (PC7): What documents do I need to include with my application? 

1. Check that all the pre-completed details on the form are correct

If changes are needed, or you have questions, please contact the Australian Embassy in Stockholm +46 8 613 2971.

2. Check the address label

If changes are needed to the address, neatly cross through the pre-printed address and write the new address to the right of the address label. Please write clearly using a black ballpoint pen. This will be the address for delivery of the passport.

3. Complete the remaining sections using a black ballpoint pen and sign the form

Please sign within the white box and date the application.

4. Provide two passport size photographs of yourself

Please print your full name on the back of one photograph. Fore more information about the photograph guidelines, please see section "What are the photo requirements?".

5. Provide your most recent Australian passport

This passport will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport. If you need to travel while your new passport is being processed, you can ask to have your old passport returned to you immediately. However, you must surrender your old passport for cancellation before we give your new passport to you.

How do I apply for a passport for my child? 

Applicants under the age of 18 must always apply using the Overseas Passport Application Form (PC8). The child must be represented at interview by a parent or guardian. It preferable that the child attend the interview, but not a requirement.

What documents do we bring to the interview?

  • Original proof of the child's Australian citizenship: Australian birth certificate (if born in Australia) or the Extract from Register of Australian Citizenship by Descent (if born overseas);
  • The child's full original birth certificate, showing both parent's names, must be presented each time a passport is applied for. The document must be in English, or accompanied by an official translation. If the child is born in Sweden or Finland, you may obtain an Extract of the Population Register in English, as this is the equivalent to a birth certificate. Please note that Finnish church documents are not accepted.
  • Two recent identical colour photographs of the child. One of these photographs must be endorsed by the guarantor as a true likeness.
  • Both parents must give their consent by signing section 17 on the application form. Both signatures must be witnessed.
  • Both parent's original passports or photo identification with signature.
  • Proof of residential address for the lodging parent.

Note: All supporting documents must be originals.

Who can be my guarantor? 

If you are lodging an Overseas Passport Application Form (PC8), you must have a guarantor to verify your identity. The guarantor must fill in section 12 on the application form and endorse the back on one photograph by writing "This is a true photo of (applicants full name) and sign it.

To qualify as a guarantor the person must:

  • Not be related to the applicant by birth or marriage, and
  • Be 18 years of age or over, and
  • Not be in a de facto relationship with the applicant (this includes same sex relationship), nor live at the same address, and
  • Have known the applicant for at least 12 months, or since birth for a child applicant who is under 1 years of age.

In addition, the guarantor must be either

  • An Australian citizen and holder of a current Australian passport with at least two years validity, or
  • A foreign national currently working in one of the occupational categories listed below:

Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys
Bank Managers
except managers of bank travel centres
Chartered Professional Engineers
Clerk of Courts
Clerk of Petty Sessions
Marriage Celebrants
Members currently serving in the regular Australian Defence Force with at least five years continuous service
Members of the Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries in Australia
Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
Public Servants who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current employer
Registered Medical Practitioners
Registered Nurses
Registered Veterinary Surgeons
Stipendiary Magistrates

What are the photo requirements? 

You must provide two recent identical colour photographs of yourself with your passport application form. If you are lodging an Overseas Passport Application Form (PC8), one of these photographs must be endorsed by your guarantor as a true likeness.

Please note that the photographs must be no more than six months old.

For further information and photograph guidelines, please visit 

How much does the passport cost? 

The passport application fees (in Swedish Kronor) are adjusted monthly due to variations in exchange rate to the Australian dollar. Make sure to pay the current fee for the month you are lodging your application (i.e. the month the Embassy receives your complete application).

Please note that on 1 January 2017, Australian passport and other travel document fees increased.  The increase in passport fees was in line with the movement in the "All Groups Consumer Price Index". Please note that passport fees listed below do not include costs for mailing the passport, or fees associated with tranferring money electronically for the payment of the passport. Please read the information below to ensure the correct amount of money is transferred.

Passport application fees from 1 February 2017:

  • Adult Ordinary (32 pages) - SEK 2501
  • 10 year validity passport for persons aged 16 and 17 (32 pages) - SEK 2165
  • Adult Frequent Traveller (64 pages) - SEK 3357
  • Minor Ordinary (32 pages) - SEK 1257
  • Senior Ordinary (32 pages) - SEK 1593
  • Emergency passport Overseas - SEK 1152

An ‘Overseas Application Fee’ is applied to passport applications lodged overseas which is reflected in the prices above.

Fees for registered mail

If you are unable to collect your new passport from the Embassy in Stockholm, we will send the passport to your home address with registered mail. For registered mail, please add the following amount to the application fee: 

  • Within Sweden - SEK 100
  • To Finland, Estonia or Latvia - SEK 150
NB: We can only accept your application when complete with all supporting documents and the correct passport application fee has been made .

How do I pay for my passport? 

Payment MUST be made at the time of lodgement.  You must lodge your application in person at the Australian Embassy in Stockholm. Payment may only be made via Eftpos (debit card or credit card). The Embassy does not accept cash. Please provide a receipt if the payment was made via bank transfer at the time of lodgement (see further information below).

If you wish to collect your passport from the Embassy in Stockholm, no additional charges will be added.


Applicants living in Sweden 

Applicants can make payment either by bankgiro or by direct deposit.

Bankgiro number 188-3990 - Name of Bank SEB  (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken), Sergels Torg 2, 106 40 STOCKHOLM.

Direct Deposit - Account  no. 5277-1000652  - Name of Bank  SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken), Sergels Torg 2, 106 40 STOCKHOLM.

Please fill in the full amount of all passports you are paying for, including any additional charges for registered mail. Enter the family name of the applicant in block letters in the “text box” and then arrange the  deposit through any SEB branch. Please include the carbon copy slip as proof of payment when you mail your application.

 The application process cannot proceed until the Embassy has received the correct payment.


Applicants living in Finland, Estonia or Latvia

If if you lodge your application in Helsinki, Tallinn or Riga, you must pay via bank trasfer as Honorary Consuls do not accept cash. All payments are in Swedish Kronor.

Bank Account no. 5277-1000652 (IBAN no. SE 2850000000052771000652). The name of the bank is SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken), Sergels Torg 2, 106 40 STOCKHOLM.

We recommend you provide the following swift/BIC code; ESSESESS to the bank to speed up the payment process. Please provide a copy of the receipt with your application as proof of payment.


Additional bank charges

Please note that banks deduct a fee for transfering funds. If you live in Finland, Estonia or Latvia and you pay using a bank transfer or by Internet banking please add the additional amount listed below:



Internet banking

If you wish to pay into the account using internet banking, please ensure you enter your family name as a reference in the “text box”. If you live in Finland, Estonia or Latvia, please note the additional charge of SEK 12 when using internet banking. This is an additional bank fee, and is not included in the passport application fee.


How long will it take to process my application?

The Australian Embassy aims to issue a travel document within three weeks, once all the application requirements have been met. Please note that this turnaround time does not include additional in-country mailing time if you choose to have your new passport sent to you via registered mail.

If you have an urgent need to travel and cannot wait the standard three week turnaround time for a full validity passport, the Embassy may be able to issue an emergency travel document, in certain limited circumstances. Please contact the Embassy in Stockholm on +46 (0)8 613 2971 for further details and requirements.