Australia’s Honorary Consuls in Helsinki, Riga and Tallinn provide valuable services to Australians in the region, particularly through working with the Embassy in Stockholm to provide consular assistance and by conducting passport interviews. Honorary Consuls cannot, however, provide the same range of services as an Embassy and we ask clients to be understanding with regards to what our Honorary Consuls can and cannot do to assist you.
Honorary Consuls accredited to Stockholm can:
• Provide passport application forms and conduct passport interviews;
• Provide consular assistance, working in conjunction with the Australian Embassy in Stockholm;
• Provide information on travel advice and how to register online;
• In an emergency, and in consultation with the Australian Embassy in Stockholm, issue a Provisional Travel Document to allow travel to the nearest Australian Embassy (Stockholm for Finland, Estonia and Latvia) where an Emergency Passport can be issued.
Honorary Consuls accredited to Stockholm cannot:
• Provide financial assistance, even in emergencies;
• Issue passports, even in emergencies;
• Perform notarial acts, such as witnessing signatures, certifying documents, witnessing statutory declarations or Australian driver’s licence renewals;
• Issue visas or process immigration applications, or provide detailed advice on visas and migration to Australia – these enquiries must be directed to the Australian Embassy in Berlin;
• Provide legal advice (although they can provide a list of lawyers);
• Provide interpreter, telephone, or photocopy services or receive mail on your behalf;
• Help you find a job;
• Provide detailed information on Australian tax, customs or other legislation – although they can direct you to sources where you can find this information.